10th January 2021
Draft outline – for your feedback please (see also FB @ https://www.facebook.com/LandBallots)
There are likely to be some changes to this structure.
Title: The gift with a price attached: Queensland balloter’s stories from the 1950s to 1970s
Part 1: Laying the foundations of the book
- Highlights that the stories from the 50s to 70s are the core of the book
- Summary of legislation and schemes; includes gov. blue print for land development in Qld
Part 2: Balloter’s stories from the 1950s to 1970s
- Post WWII and a development agenda: gov wanted more farmers to increase food production
- The gift: what was won in the ballot: opportunity; realisation of a dream; a way of life; and land.
- The price of the gift. The financial and human cost of meeting the lease conditions, on time, but without financial means.
- How the price was paid. Worked hard, worked smart and worked together.
- What helped and what hindered: Helped – support from family and friends and the gov. Hindered – the doubters.
- What was achieved. No work done here. Mostly about economic development.
Part 3: Other ballots and balloters. Times, types and places.
- lists of types of ballot schemes
- policy and legislation – the boring bits, but this is what drove land development in Qld for 100 years, and of which ballots were a small part.